Helping entrepreneurs create companies for profit, planet and people.
InterSector supports and encourages the growth of a “fourth sector” that’s rising from the intersection of the existing public, private, and non-profit sectors. This new sector is social enterprise, and it's comprised of businesses committed to delivering not only profit but also social and/or environmental benefits to their stakeholders: customers, investors, employees, and the communities in which they operate.
When evaluating investment opportunities, InterSector seeks a return that's both social and financial. Revenue makes a company self-sustaining, but a successful social enterprise will also provide sustained positive change in areas such as job creation and wealth building in underserved communities, natural resource use and reuse, environmental protection and improvement, education and health initiatives, and sustainable local food systems.
The program consists of three components:
- Proof of Concept Lab – A twelve- to sixteen-week collaborative process with InterSector staff to validate the business idea, begin making community connections, and discover market opportunities.
- Impact Investent – Up to $10,000 in financial support.
- Fast Track to Investment –The opportunity to be fast-tracked into Idea Foundry’s core Program, the Idea Transformation Fellowship, which includes larger amounts of funding, additional hands-on assistance, and a platform from which to introduce your solutions to market.
Criteria for Qualified Ideas:
- Direct Impact: The idea is uniquely positioned to directly deliver positive social and/or environmental benefits to our communities.
- Indirect Impact:The idea has a compelling case of delivering a product or a service in a new and disruptive way that indirectly provides social and/or environmental impact.
- Innovation: The idea employs a unique approach that disturbs the status quo and addresses social and/or environmental problems that are currently unaddressed by existing market and non-market systems.
- Financial Sustainability: Idea has a compelling plan for job creation, as well as long-term financial and operational sustainability.
If you are passionate about building market-driven solutions to social and environmental problems, consider applying to the InterSector Accelerator.